HOW DO THE RANKINGS WORK?
Every year the Club will hold a Club Championship which will create the ranking list for the year. The championship format will be a monroe format. This format works with backdraws, so every position is played for.
The new line-up will be placed online at the end of the championship.
Two weeks after the Championship final players are allowed to challenge as per the challenge rules below.
Players who are not available for the club championship (either absent or new members) will need to challenge into the ranking list. The first challenge will need to be discussed with the Club Captains and the Selection Commitee.
- Challenger is allowed to challenge up to two positions above. For example, nr.8 may challenge nr.6 or nr.7 players.
- Match is decided by best of 3 sets (3rd set a super tie break or a long one, to be decided beforehand).
- Challenger to supply tennis balls.
- If the challenge is successful, players will switch ranking. For example, nr.8 will take nr.6 spot and vice versa.
- You may not challenge more than one player per week.
- You may not challenge the same person more than once within a 4-week period.
- A challenge match must be played within 10 days of the challenger’s request and provided the player being challenged is in Cape Town and does not have another challenge match during that time. In this instance challengers will need to wait until the first challenge match is completed before issuing a new challenge request. If the person you challenge cannot confirm a time or date within this 10-day period, he or she will lose the challenge. (Also see point 9)
- Challenge matches may not be played during official league practice or social times. Please arrange to play outside of these scheduled times.
- Both players must agree to a date and time.
- Challengers must notify the Club Captain or Men’s/Women’s Captain of the agreed date of challenge and Club Captain to be notified of result.
- The club will rely on the sportsmanship of all players to ensure that games are played in good faith.